A Bicycle in Asia Means So Much More
My excitement and anticipation had never reached such a climax in all my eight years of life. I had seven birthdays already under my belt, but none would compare with this one. This birthday was sure to be archived in my future memory as the best birthday of my childhood; the story I would retell time and time again.
I confidently opened gift after gift, sure one of them would lead me outside to a long-asked-for-patiently-awaited bicycle. My parents had never been able to afford one before, and even though monetarily nothing had changed, I could feel in my bones that this was the year my dream would become reality. My senses tingled; a bicycle was close.
As I came to the last present, I held my breath as I tore open the wrapping. What? No bicycle? No note telling me to look behind the garage? No first clue to a treasure hunt ending in my parent’s room with a gleaming, two-wheeled beauty, hopefully in pink?
As doubt crept from my gut to my heart, I scanned the faces of my family assembled around me. As I searched from face to face in desperation, I landed on the smiling eyes of my aunt and hope sprang to life in my heart once again. She told me to close my eyes as she carefully led me out the front door. My heart pounded with each step on the gravel drive. My aunt uncovered my eyes, and I saw my beaming uncle come around the corner of the garage pushing the ugliest bike I had ever seen!
The giant pink bow on the handle bars could not hide the atrocity of the banana-seat bike before me. The bright yellow frame made the multi-colored giant daisies on the seat pop out. Giant daisies?! Something a 4-year-old would want?! As soon as I saw the bicycle, I burst into tears. Not only was my dream dashed, but I knew I would be stuck with the worst bicycle on the block for the rest of my childhood!
Now you may be wondering why I am sharing at such great length this painful childhood memory. As I remember and re-live the longing I had for my first bicycle, I am able to enter into the longing and anticipation of our brothers and sisters in Asia who dream of one day getting a bicycle of their own.
For me, a bicycle meant freedom, independence, maturity and neighborhood swagger. For those in Asia, a bicycle means something completely different.
![]() |
| Sandeep on his way to encourage believers with his wife and child. |
Take Sandeep, for instance, a GFA-supported missionary serving in Asia. Several nights a week, Sandeep travels by bicycle to different villages to hold prayer meetings, teach believers and encourage them in their faith. In one village, Sandeep meets with a family who are the only Christians in their village. Everyone listens intently as Sandeep shares a message from the Bible. The message challenges the family to keep pursuing Christ even though they are not always accepted.
Click here, to read more about this article.
Click here, to read more blogs on Patheos from Gospel for Asia.

Comments
Post a Comment