What Kind of Books Are You Reading?

Many years ago, while visiting China, I was shocked when I learned that hundreds of church congregations in China are without even one copy of the Bible to share among themselves. They are without any kind of Christian books, and still today in many other parts of the world it is impossible to find a Christian bookstore.
When I first came to North America in the 1970's, I was amazed at the thousands of books on every conceivable subject that believers in the US have available to them. One might logically conclude that because there are so many Christian books, most of the people of North America are very spiritual and radical in their commitment to Christ!
Unfortunately, this is not the case. In fact, even though so many Christian books are available, many of God’s people are truly illiterate when it comes to reading books that could really make a difference in their lives.
The Books We Actually Need Are Unpopular
When you visit the average Christian book store, you’ll find that there are more books on self-help and how to make one feel good, or how to improve one’s situation, than on the radical call of Christ to lay down one’s life and live unselfishly to give others the chance to know the mercy of God.
Many publishing houses will not publish a book with the name “mission” on it, simply because it wouldn’t be a money-maker. There are hundreds of books that are priceless, yet are out of print because the topics are contrary to our self-centered, self-pleasing watered-down Christianity.
In other words, we are looking for anything that makes us feel good.
Early in my Christian life, one of the best things that happened to me was that George Verwer, founder of Operation Mobilization where I was serving, asked us young people to carry with us the book True Discipleship by William McDonald. We were asked to read it several times a year. Then I was introduced to the many books by A.W. Tozer. Then came the books by Watchman Nee. And, of course, how can one forget Calvary Road by Roy Hession. I’m sad to say that many of these same books are not even available in the most popular bookstores. They have to be special ordered.
To know more about the article, click here.
Comments
Post a Comment